Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Hugs (O) and Kisses (X) story (funny)

So I did come up with my title for this blog weeks ago, (in one of my dream writing sessions). So the story goes, it is my birthday no less, Heyward and I are at our first cancer appointment with the radiologist who is going to share with us the MRIs of my tumor. I am filling out paper work, and I get a text on my phone. I ask my husband to read it to me since I am once again filling out for the up tenth time that I have no history of cancer, never been in a hospital (besides giving birth) , blah blah blah. So this is how the conversation goes:

Husband: Its Elizabeth, she says Happy Birthday, and XOXOXOXOX, what does ox- ox- ox mean? Why is she saying ox to you? Ox the animal?

Me:(not believing I am hearing this) You mean XO, XO, that means hugs and kisses, oh my gosh!, you don't know that XO means HUGS AND KISSES? (I am also thinking what a nimrod, but I don't say that! *L*) I have written you love letters and sent you cards for over 20 years and always signed them XOXO, and you never knew that meant hugs and kisses!?????

Husband: Oh , I always thought it was sports related. (no joke this is what he said! and meant it)

Me: I am sorry, but every person on this planet knows that XOs mean hugs and kisses.

At this point husband starts naming off a list of men he is sure that would not know the meaning of x and os. With me challenging him to call them, because once again every human on earth, besides my husband, and maybe some pygmies somewhere in Uganda knows that X and Os mean HUGS and Kisses! We are still discussing (arguing ) about this as we head down the corridor to the doctor. We are promptly met with a doctor, that if it wasn't for a few grey hairs, I would swear was Doogie Howser. Dr. A is attentive, explaining to us the size of the cancer, the type, my treatment, and why, oh why, something like this can happen to someone like me! He tears up with us, holds my hand, and does all the right things. After 45 minutes of his undivided attention he asks us one final question.

Dr. A: You all have asked wonderful informed questions, is there anything else you may want to know?

Me: Yes, Dr. A, do you know what Xs and Os mean?

Dr. A: You mean hugs and kisses?(with a very perplexed look on his face).

Me: (Looking to husband) You see, even DR. A KNOWS the meaning of Xs and Os! *LOL*

So you see, even in the darkest of moments, you can find something to lighten your spirits, so when I am feeling a little blue the x and o story is something I can think back on and it makes me smile. I shared this story with my friend who texts started this conversation, and she gave me as a gift an XO necklace, I LOVE it, so in a way hugs and kisses is my battle cry against this cancer, my other friends have jumped on the bad wagon as well, so now we all sign off with XOXO, and I can't think of a better way.
xoxoXOXO,
Tam

No comments: